Sunday, February 7, 2010

28 weeks Check up

September 30th.

Today we went to Oakwood clinic to have pregnancy check up and blood test for gestational diabetes. Friends of mine told me to avoid eating too much carbs few days before the test so that my glucose level won't be so high. Even I learned that it is not necessary I was a bit nervous that I started to count the carbs I ate.

This morning I woke up at 4am and was so hungry. I made wrap with tortilla and scramble eggs, and ended with grapes. An hour later I went to sleep. Woke up at 9am, I made yet another scrambled eggs (now that our hens make eggs daily, we always have good supply of eggs, sometimes abundant), but this time I had it with tofu pups and tortilla. For dessert I made smoothie (yogurt, rice milk, frozen fruits and blueberries, sweetened with agave) and one Bartlett pear. Yum! That should do good until after the test.

Once at the clinic, nurse gave me a small bottle of dextrose liquid to drink. I had to drink it up in no more than 4minutes. Then I have to wait for 1 hour before they draw my blood. The drink was in raspberry flavor and was really, really sweet. So sweet it almost made me sick.

30 minutes later, I met with Dr. Orth and she was happy to see my progress so far. I gained 23 lbs since the first check up (in my 5th week), I had normal blood pressure (100/70), and my baby grows well, too. She measured my belly and checked on baby's heartbeat with doppler. The heartbeat was 145 bpm (slower than last check up which was 154 bpm), but doc said when the baby is resting it's heartbeat slows down. So, we're happy.

Doc said now that I'm on my third trimester, I need to gain about one pound a week now to reach the goal of 30 lbs total. She asked how do I keep my weight gain, Loel told her we are vegetarian and we eat healthy food, all natural and no artificial flavor/sweetener, and we always try to look for organic food. I'm just happy that most of the weight I gain goes to my belly. Loel even said when he look at me from the back I don't look pregnant. Old people say that when this happens, they usually cary a baby boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment