Saturday, September 26, 2009

It Started with the Two of Us


I met my husband, Loel Rucks Coleman, through a dating website in 2003. At that time, I was working at Smartkids, a children computer learning center in Surabaya, Indonesia while Loel lived in family ranch at Angleton, Texas. We communicate mostly through emails, chats, and phone calls. In December 2003, Loel decided to visit me and my family in Surabaya. I took him for a trip to Bali and Jogja with my best friend, Esther. We had so much fun! A surprise happened in Jogja, just a day before we headed back to Surabaya. We were having lunch in a popular 'gudeg' (a traditional local sweet-savoury dish made of young jackfruit) cafe, when he popped out a proposal. And as you all may guess, I accepted it.


Back in Surabaya, I told my family and best friends about the proposal. And since we wanted to do it right according to my cultural tradition, we planned on an official enggagement. My best friend, Jolanda, helped us with preparation. On December ,2004, my uncles and aunties came to witness our ceremony. Then, Loel arrived with Jolanda and her family. My dad conduct the ceremony which was more like investigation to Loel. He then put the ring on my finger and we both cut 'nasi tumpeng' (yellow rice that is shaped like a mountain) and gave the top to my dad as a symbol of respect and care for my family.

Loel, and I married in June 27th, 2004 in Surabaya, Indonesia. It was so sad that my dad couldn't be there for us. He passed away in April, 2004, just 2 months before our wedding date. Few months after our wedding, in September, my mom followed my dad, came back to Our Father's home. It was a very difficult time for me and my brother, Greddy, whose wife was expecting their first child. We lost both of our parents in less than 6 months. God has His will. We must move on with our lives.

With my parents passed away, Loel applied for my visa to come to US. We were both busy sending forms and documents back and forth for my visa. January 25th 2005, I arrived in San Fransisco, the city Loel knows well. April 1th, 2005, we had an official wedding at our hometown, Cedar Park, Texas., since it was required to complete my permanent resident card.

I got my temporary PR (permanent resident) card couple months later. This card valid for two years. But I can start looking for a job and get my driving license.

2006, we got notification letter from INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service, under Homeland Security) to renew my resident card. We went to San Antonio INS office to have an interview. Some friends gave me advises of do's and don'ts during interview. The interview went well and was fun. It wasn't as what my friends described, at all. Two months later I got my PR, and it's valid for 10 years. We're lucky we got it renewed just before INS increased the fees for all forms. Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment